THE LIFE AND THE MNISTRY OF PASTOR SAMUEL AND GRACE HAMMOND AT OBUASI, KWABRAFOSO, GHANA WEST AFRICA
Human life is a complete mystery which only God understands. Why one comes to this world to accomplish specific goals is a matter of divine initiation
By the grace of God I was privileged to be born into a religious home where we go to church, but don’t fully understand the Christian faith. Getting involved in church activities was all that I thought could satisfy God as my creator who owns my life. Little did I know that God had a hand and direction in my endeavors until I got converted and I was baptized into the Christian Faith in April 1980.
Since then, I have been very busy in evangelistic programs in rural areas. I received the call of God into the ministry. I therefore enrolled into the southern Ghana bible college of the Assemblies of God, Kumasi, Ghana for a three year diploma course in theology and pastoral training and completed in November 1992.
I entered into a full time ministry immediately after my theological and pastoral training, by taking pastorate of the Kwabrafoso branch of the Assemblies of God church at Obuasi within the Ashanti region of Ghana.
The Kwabrafoso/ Tutuka branch of the church, which I later named Victory Charismatic Centre, Assembly of God church, was planted by the mother church in 22nd October, 1989 with initial membership of 15 people and had grown to 50 members when I took the pastorate, has a current membership of 700 including children.
Indoor programs such as revival, fasting and prayer, indoor crusade, seminars and leadership training have contributed much to the spiritual growth of the church. Outreach programs like house to house evangelism open air crusade, among other things, have also produced numerical growth as well.
The church has departmental groups like women, young women, men, young men, youth, children, prayer tower, among others, with well trained leadership. The church has separate adult services, youth services and children as well. All such services are attended at the basement of the church building and temporary structure for the youth and the children waiting for the time to complete the full chapel.
We have been able to planet 10 other branches 2 are now under the care of two of the Assemblies of God accredited ministers, the remaining 8 branches are, namely:
1. Diaweiso with 80 members within 30 minutes drive from the main church lead by some of the leaders I have trained.
2. Gyimisokakraba with 35 members within 40 minutes drive from the main church.
3. Ayease with members of 10 within 40 minutes drive from the main church.
4. Ahansowodea with membership of 45 within 20 minutes drive from the main church
5. Brofoyeduru with 75 members within 40 minutes drive lead by a Brother called Robert Amponsah.
6. Hwiremoasie members of 20 within 35 minutes drive.
7. Bodwesanwo members of 40 within 50 minutes drive from the main church.
8. Amamoso members of 57 within 60 minutes drive from the main church.
All of these churches are lead by people I have trained by the grace of God.
Grace has been a great blessing to me and the ministry God has called me since we married on 10th December 1994 and have been blessed with 3 girls. She has helped a lot in both my challenging and happy moments.
Projections for the ministry are:
1. To strength existing church branches.
2. To plant 2 more branches within a five year period at Fwereso about 60 minutes drive from the main church, Pomposo 15 minutes drive and
3. To complete the main church auditorium.
4. To buy lands (property) for the branch churches and to help them put up their church building.
Challenging moments have been:
- When I initially took pastorate of this church when the members had scattered.
- Unexpected ejection from our rented parsonage.
- (In all such challenging moment, the Lord strengthen me with the following scriptures, I can do all things through our Lord Jesus Christ. Preach the word in season and out of season.
Moments of happiness:
- When I see people coming to know the Lord Jesus Christ and being disciple to do the things of God.
To God be all the thanks for all that he has done in me through me and he is about to do in the days ahead. To him be all the glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Pastor Samuel Hammond.